In Loving Memory
We are grateful for the time and expertise Frank gave to SafeBeat. Rest in peace Cowboy!
March 8, 1943 ~ January 24, 2021
Frank Shankwitz was best known as the Creator, Co-Founder, and first President/CEO of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, an extraordinary charity that grants the wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses. From humble beginnings, the Make-A-Wish Foundation is now a global organization that grants a child's wish somewhere in the world on an average of every 28 minutes.
Frank was a U.S. Air Force veteran and had a long and distinguished career in law enforcement. He began as a Arizona Highway Patrol Motorcycle Officer, and retired as a Homicide Detective with the Arizona Department of Public Safety, with 42 years of service.
Frank has been featured in numerous publications and television programs, and has received several awards, including the White House Call To Service Award from both President George W. Bush and President Donald J. Trump, and the "Making A Difference In the World" award from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
More of Franks Notable Achievements/Awards:
- In 2015 Frank joined six U.S. Presidents as well as Nobel Prize winners and industry leaders as a recipient of the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
- December 2015, following his commencement address, Frank was presented with an Honorary Doctorate Degree, Doctor of Public Service, from The Ohio State University.
- December 2015, Frank was identified as one of the "10 Most Amazing Arizonans", in a front-page article in the Arizona Republic newspaper.
- January 2016, Frank was identified in a Forbes Magazine article as a "Forbes Top Ten Keynote Speaker".
- April 2017, Frank was presented the Unite 4: Humanity Celebrity ICON Social Impact Award, joining past recipients Matthew McConaughey and Morgan Freeman.
- February 2018, Frank shared the stage with Matthew McConaughey at Universal Studios at the LA City Gala and was presented the first City Gala Hero Award.
- September 2018, Frank's new book, "Wish Man", was re-released and is available on Amazon.
- May 2019, following his commencement address, Frank was presented with an Honorary Doctorate Degree, Doctor of Law, from St. Norbert College.
- June 2019, Frank joined 89 celebrities, when he received his "STAR" on the Las Vegas Walk of Fame.
- October 2019, Frank received a Lifetime Service Award from Women of Global Change.
- November 2019, Frank received his “STAR” on the Coronado Island Walk of Stars.
- November 2019, Frank received the 2019 Arizona Ambassador of the Year Award from the Consular Corps of Arizona.
- January 2020, Frank was appointed as a Honorary Commander of the U.S. Air Force 161st Air Refueling Wing, based in Phoenix, AZ, a two year position.
Frank's life story, "Wish Man", a feature motion picture, was released in June 2019, and has won several awards, including being qualified for an Academy Award for Best Picture Oscar. Frank is a board member on several non-profits, including U.S. Vets, The Wounded Blue, Broadway Hearts, Women of Global Change, and Level Up Home Seattle. Information to contact Frank for a speaking engagement is available on Frank's website - wishman1.com.